Fajr International Film Festival Rules & Regulations
Fajr International Film Festival Rules & Regulations
Article 1- Aims
Set in the heart of Iran’s capital city, Tehran, Fajr International Film Festival pays tribute to quality national and international films. It is an event that celebrates cultural exchange, displays creative achievements of highly acclaimed cineastes and showcases films promoting artistic contribution to the medium. Moreover, the festival also pays special attention to films that seek justice, and Highlight humane and moral values.
The festival focuses especially on films from the Middle East, Central Asia, Caucasus and Anatolia as well as works heralding peace and friendship as true teachings of the holy prophets.
Moreover, Fajr International Film Festival provides a unique platform in this geographic region for an interchange of professional experience and international meetings. In addition, intensive training courses are being offered to young filmmakers.
Meanwhile, the International Film Market, better known as IFM provides an excellent opportunity for the acquisition and sales of film rights, co-production projects and offers support for the production and screening of new Iranian films.
The 37th edition of Fajr International Film Festival will be held from April 18th to 26th, 2019 in Tehran, under the direction of well-known Iranian filmmaker, Reza Mirkarimi.
Article 2- Eligibility and Formats
- World premiere films and international premiere films are of higher priority respectively.
- Accepted formats: Non-encrypted DCP, Apple ProRes 4444 or Full HD File (plus a Blu-ray backup) with English subtitles.
- Year of completion (for main sections):2018-2019
- Date of Completion for Special Screenings, Popular Genre Films, and Docs in Focus: 2017-2019
- Eligible films for main sections:
- Feature films (fiction, documentary, animation) of at least 70 minutes running time, intended for theatrical release.
- Short films (fiction, documentary, animation) of at most 15 minutes running time.
- All films have to be registered through the online film entry
- The submission form must be completed by the producer or international distributor of the film. In case of theatrical release or any international screenings, Iranian films will be eligible to enter International Competition and Eastern Vista sections of the festival.
- International films, already premiered in the Middle East, Central Asia, Caucasia and Anatolia (with the exception of the country of origin), will not be selected for the main competitive section.
- In case of submission in previous editions, the film is not eligible to be submitted again.
Article 3- Selection Process and Programming
- The Festival Director selects and officially invites films to participate in the festival.
- The Festival Director might use the consultation and recommendations of filmmakers and film experts for the selection and invitation of the films and guests.
- All films submitted to the festival may be considered for all sections unless specifically instructed by the applicant.
- The duly completed online entry form with tracking code as well as the previewing versions for selection must reach the Festival Office through the website before the assigned deadline (February 20th, 2019). All forms must be signed by the producer.
- The eligible formats for previewing and selection purposes are downloadable links, DVDs or blu-rays.
- Once a film has been selected, it cannot be withdrawn from the Festival programme.
Article 4- Programmes
- Festival sections include:
- Main Sections:
- International Competition
- Eastern Vista (Panorama of Films from Asian and Islamic Countries)
- Festival of Festivals
- Parallel Sections:
- Restored Classics
- Docs in Focus
- Special Screenings (retrospectives and memorials)
- Popular Genre Films
- Burnt Olives (a window to the changes in the world of Islam today)
- Retrospective of National Cinemas / Renowned Cineastes
- Special Events:
- Darolfonoun (Talent Campus for Iranian, Regional and World Young Filmmakers)
- Student Lab (in Universities)
- Workshops and Seminars
Article 5- International Competition
- There will be at most 15 feature films for inclusion in this section. No more than 3 Iranian feature films will be included in International Competition.
- There will be a maximum of 15 short films for inclusion in this section. No more than 3 Iranian short films will be included in International Competition.
Article 6- Juries
- International Jury:
- The festival will designate at least five jury members for the International Competition.
Asian Film Awards Jury:
- The Festival Director will appoint at least three jury members amongst international cineaste and film experts for the Asian Film Awards.
- Note: Award nominees will be selected from all films reflecting culture and lifestyle in Asia, Central Asia, Caucasus and Anatolia, included in the Competition and Panorama sections.
- For additional awards, the Festival Director may designate other members.
- Note: Individuals who have direct bonds with the production or exploitation of a film are not to be on the Jury team.
Article 7 – Awards
- Feature Films in International Competition:
- Golden Simorgh for Best Film (awarded to the film director) + 600.000.000 IRR Cash Prize (jointly to producer and director)
- Silver Simorgh for Best Director + 300.000.000 IRR Cash Prize
- Silver Simorgh for Best Script + 200.000.000 IRR Cash Prize
- Silver Simorgh for Best Actress
- Silver Simorgh for Best Actor
- Silver Simorgh for Special Jury Prize for Outstanding Artistic Contribution in the categories of camera, editing, music score, costume or scene design
- In the decision of International Jury, the prize list must not contain joint awards and no film can receive more than two awards.
- Short Films in International Competition:
- Silver Simorgh for Best Short Film + 50.000.000 IRR Cash Prize (awarded to the film director)
- Asian Film Awards:
- Trophy for Best Asian Film (awarded to the film director) + 300.000.000 IRR Cash Prize (jointly to producer and director)
- Trophy for Best Asian Director
- Trophy for Best Asian Short Film + 50.000.000 IRR Cash Prize (awarded to the film director)
- Note: In the verdict of Asian Film Awards Jury, the prize list must not contain joint awards and no film can receive more than one award.
- First Film Award:
- In case of nomination of at least 10 First Feature-length Films, three designated jury members will decide on the following award.
- Trophy for Best First Feature Film + 100.000.000 IRR Cash Prize (awarded to the film director)
- Muhammad Al-Ameen Award for Reflection of Prophetic Ethics and Morality (for one of the films selected for the main sections of the festival):
- Trophy + Diploma of Honor + 200.000.000 IRR Cash Prize (awarded to the film director)
- Other Awards:
- Inter-Faith Award
- NETPAC Prize
- (NETPAC stands for “Network for the Promotion of Asian Cinema”)
- Note: The payment of Cash Prizes will be based on the currency rates available during the festival period.
Article 8 –Documentation
- Complete documentation for each selected film is to be made available to the Film Department as required. All the needed documents are mentioned in the online film entry.
Article 9- Acceptance of Terms and Conditions
- The Festival Director will settle any case that might arise unexpectedly.
- Participation in the Festival implies acceptance of all the aforementioned rules & regulations.
Article 10 – Key Dates
- Online Submission Opening Date: October 20th, 2018
- Online Submission Closing Date: February 20th, 2019
- Deadline for Receipt of the Previewing Materials: February 25th, 2019
- Festival Dates: April 18thto 26th, 2019
Fajr International Film Festival
Address: No. 2454, Ehtesham St., Valiasr St., Tehran, Iran
Postal Code: 1434843631
Tel: +98 21 88194257 / 88194253 / 88194248
E-mail (for all submissions except Iranian productions): firstname.lastname@example.org